Jewish Federation of Greater Ann Arbor
The Jewish Federation of Greater Ann Arbor is seeking a creative, dynamic collaborator to join its energetic team as a Development Associate. This person will provide support for annual campaign, Foundation and other fundraising and development efforts. This position requires passion for our mission, enthusiasm, excellent organizational abilities and computer skills, creativity, good humor and a goal-focused outlook. The ideal candidate will have exceptional interpersonal communication abilities and be able to successfully nurture mutually beneficial relationships.
Located in southeast Michigan, Ann Arbor is a vibrant and energetic college town famous for the University of Michigan, its beautiful parks and nature areas and cultural offerings. Ann Arbor boasts a lively downtown, low crime, a healthy economy, regular festivals, and strong schools and neighborhoods. As a result, it is consistently rated highly on lists of small cities and was named by niche.com as the 2017 best city to live in America. The greater Ann Arbor community encompasses Ypsilanti, the vibrant and diverse home of Eastern Michigan University, and several warm and welcoming small towns including Saline, Dexter and Chelsea.
The greater Ann Arbor Jewish community has a population of approximately 8,000 representing approximately 2,500 households. The community is strong and diverse with congregations representing a broad spectrum of Jewish communal life, a warm and educationally exceptional Jewish elementary school, a thriving Jewish Community Center, and a robust and compassionate Jewish Family Services.
The mission of the Jewish Federation of Greater Ann Arbor is to foster Jewish communal life through the spirit of tzedakah (righteousness) and tikkun olam (social justice). Our mandate is to initiate, coordinate and preserve activities which strengthen Jewish life locally, in Israel and throughout the world. The most recent annual campaign raised almost $1.4 million, and the community’s endowment stands at nearly $6.5 million.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Associate will work closely with the Financial Resource Development (FRD) Director to implement a comprehensive and strategic development plan designed to expand the annual campaign and overall communal philanthropic capacity of the Ann Arbor Jewish community. The successful candidate will support efforts to develop, cultivate, and manage donors; design and implement creative and innovative fundraising strategies; recruit, organize and train volunteer workers; assure adherence to Campaign time schedules; and maintain a database of donors and prospects.
The successful candidate will be a team player with a strong sense of purpose, initiative, commitment and personal responsibility. This position is a hands-on role which will require confidence, flexibility, good time management, confidentiality, and the ability to be persistent and strategic when often juggling multiple tasks.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
In partnership with the Executive Director, FRD Director, Federation team, Campaign Chair, Campaign Cabinet and other volunteer committees, the Development Associate will support all campaign operations. This person will:
- Participate in the recruitment, training, support, motivation and empowerment of campaign volunteers
- Assist in planning, organizing, implementing and staffing of events and/or special projects in support of FRD priorities and community engagement
- Manage the FRD database and ensure accurate reporting to track progress toward meeting campaign goals
- Coordinate donor acknowledgement and recognition efforts
- Cultivate and steward donor prospects and manage a personal portfolio of donors, securing gifts through face-to-face conversations.
- Resource and/or develop marketing tools and materials for a well-rounded campaign communications effort including social and print media
- Coordinate on-line and direct mail fundraising efforts
- Participate in securing corporate and foundation sponsorships and grants
- Support Foundation efforts to secure planned gifts and endowments to ensure the long-term sustainability of the community
- Develop and maintain budgets for all programs for which responsible.
- Promote the mission of Federation at all times through superior customer service to all and through the efficient use of and care for all resources.
- Work closely with other staff on planning and implementing Federation events and programs.
- Serve as an ambassador of the Federation and foster positive professional relationships with Federation and agency colleagues.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, community events as needed, and professional development seminars and conferences as needed
Competencies and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s a plus
- Minimum one to three years of fundraising, volunteer management or related professional related experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented and possessing excellent strategies for and persistence with follow-up
- Significant involvement in and knowledge of the Jewish community; passion for and broad understanding of Jewish, Israel, and Israel-related issues is a plus.
- Entrepreneurial self-starter, creative thinker and team player with excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, the ability to handle multiple tasks and meticulous attention to detail and follow-up
Please submit resume to Eileen Freed
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree Required and 0-2 years of experience.